Thursday, July 30, 2009

Potty training...agh

Well Italia is still not potty trained. Some of this is my fault and some is her. She was doing so good then we moved and kind of messed her up. Now somedays are better than others. She does know how to tell me she needs to go potty. Her favorite times to do this are usually as I put her in her crib for bed or nap. She also likes to tell us this in Sacrament.
Part of the problem is I am really nervous to put her in panties and let her run around. Soon after we moved in I tried this. I was so careful was around her all the time, took her potty a
bunch, and had lots of towels around. So she is sitting on my lap and I fell myself getting wet. She had peeded so much she didn't just soak herself, myself, but my brand new couch too. I was definately glad I got the stain protection. So we went up stairs I got her cleaned up and me cleaned up and while I changed my clothes (2 mins) she managed to pee twice in her room. How can someone so little pee so much.
We have had some success. The other night after bath she likes to run around in her towel for a few minutes. This time I didn't put a diaper on her right away, so she was running around naked. Then she goes "potty" so we go and sit on the potty. She wouldn't come off for ever and she ended up pooping. I was very happy. She got two chocolate treats ( she usually thinks she needs two chocolate treats just for looking at the potty)
I have been trying the timer thing, mainly for my benefit because I would get busy doing other things and forget to take her. So the first couple days doing it when the timer went off Italia would get all excited and yell "potty time" and run to the bathroom, now she yells"potty time, hide" and hides from me or crys, screams, kicks as I take her potty.????

3 comments:

Jessica said...

Mmm.. yes. Potty training. I'm so not looking forward to that. Have you read any books on it or can you recommend any certain method? I'm gathering resources.

THE CAHOON FAMILY said...

I am SOOOOO not looking forward to potty training! That's cool you and amber got together! I miss you guys..those were fun days working :) Well if I ever get up that way i will for sure let you know!

Andy said...

Worst parenting aspect so far in my opinion. I've come to the conclusion that potty training is the first experience they have with being in "control". So my only advice is to let HER decide when she's ready. And GOOD LUCK!

Also, I bought a pack of plastic pants at Wal-Mart. The kind normally used for cloth diapering. They don't contain a ton, but will save the couch or your lap before you scoop and run. I never used pull-ups. So those plastic pants over undies saved me.

Also, you should have potty treats for Italia, and even better ones for Mommy! You'll need them just as much! Just another personal opinion.